How to customize your LinkedIn URL for easier sharing
Why Customize Your LinkedIn URL?
LinkedIn is a powerful professional networking platform that allows you to connect with colleagues, potential employers, and industry experts. Your LinkedIn profile serves as your virtual resume and can be a powerful tool for building your personal brand and showcasing your professional achievements.
When you create a LinkedIn account, the platform automatically assigns you a URL that consists of random numbers and letters. This default URL is not only difficult to remember, but it also looks unprofessional and can make it challenging for others to find your profile.
Customizing your LinkedIn URL allows you to create a personalized web address that is easy to share, remember, and incorporate into your professional branding. In this article, we will guide you through the process of customizing your LinkedIn URL, step by step.
How to Get Your LinkedIn URL
Before customizing your LinkedIn URL, it’s important to know where to find it. Here’s how you can locate your LinkedIn URL:
- Log in to your LinkedIn account and navigate to your profile page.
- Look for the “Edit public profile & URL” button on the right side of your profile page. It is usually located below your profile picture.
- Click on the button to access your public profile settings.
- On the right side of the page, you will find your current LinkedIn URL under the “Edit URL” section.
- Copy the URL and save it for later use.
How to Change Your LinkedIn URL
Now that you know where to find your LinkedIn URL, let’s dive into the process of customizing it. Follow these steps to change your LinkedIn URL:
- Access your LinkedIn profile and locate the “Edit public profile & URL” button.
- Click on the button to open your public profile settings.
- Under the “Edit URL” section, you will find an option to edit your LinkedIn URL.
- Click on the “Edit” button next to your current URL.
- A new window will appear, allowing you to enter your desired custom URL.
- Choose a URL that reflects your professional identity, such as your full name or a combination of your name and industry.
- Keep in mind that your custom URL must be unique and may only contain letters, numbers, and hyphens.
- Once you have entered your desired URL, click on the “Save” button to save your changes.
Customizing Your LinkedIn URL: Best Practices
When customizing your LinkedIn URL, it’s important to follow some best practices to optimize your profile and enhance your personal branding. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Use your full name or a variation of your name as your custom URL. This makes it easier for others to find and remember your profile.
- Avoid using numbers or special characters in your URL, as they can make it more difficult to share and remember.
- If your full name is not available as a custom URL, try adding a middle initial or a relevant keyword to differentiate your URL.
- Consider the SEO implications of your custom URL. Including relevant keywords in your URL can help improve your profile’s visibility in search engine results.
- Keep your custom URL concise and professional. Shorter URLs are easier to share and fit better on business cards and resumes.
- Regularly review and update your custom URL to reflect any changes in your professional identity or branding.
Where to Use Your LinkedIn URL
Once you have customized your LinkedIn URL, you can start using it to enhance your professional presence. Here are some places where you can showcase your LinkedIn URL:
- Include your LinkedIn URL in your email signature. This allows recipients to easily access your profile and learn more about your professional background.
- Add your LinkedIn URL to your business cards. This provides a convenient way for people to connect with you online and stay updated on your professional journey.
- Include your LinkedIn URL on your resume. Many employers and recruiters rely on LinkedIn to evaluate candidates, so providing a direct link to your profile can increase your chances of getting noticed.
- Share your LinkedIn URL on other social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook. This allows your followers on different networks to connect with you professionally.
- Include your LinkedIn URL in your professional bio or About Me section on your personal website or blog. This helps visitors learn more about your professional background and connect with you on LinkedIn.
Using LinkedIn URL Shorteners
If you find that your LinkedIn URL is too long, you can use URL shorteners to create a more compact and shareable link. Here are some popular URL shorteners you can use:
- Bitly: Bitly is a free URL shortening service that allows you to create shortened links and track their performance.
- TinyURL: TinyURL is another popular URL shortening service that provides shortened links with a customizable alias.
- Rebrandly: Rebrandly is a URL shortening platform that allows you to create custom branded links with your own domain name.
- Google URL Shortener: Google URL Shortener, also known as goo.gl, was a popular URL shortening service provided by Google. However, it has been discontinued since March 2019.
When using URL shorteners, make sure to choose a service that provides analytics and allows you to track the performance of your shortened links. This can help you measure the effectiveness of your LinkedIn profile and optimize your personal branding strategy.
Examples of Customized LinkedIn URLs
Here are some examples of well-customized LinkedIn URLs:
As you can see, these URLs are concise, professional, and reflect the individual’s name or professional identity. By following these examples, you can create a customized LinkedIn URL that enhances your personal brand and makes it easier for others to find and connect with you.
Customizing your LinkedIn URL is a simple yet effective way to optimize your profile and enhance your personal branding. By creating a personalized web address that is easy to remember and share, you can make it easier for others to find and connect with you on LinkedIn.
Remember to follow the best practices mentioned in this article when customizing your LinkedIn URL. Use your full name or a variation of it, avoid numbers and special characters, and consider the SEO implications of your URL. Additionally, make sure to showcase your LinkedIn URL on your email signature, business cards, resume, and other relevant platforms to maximize its impact.
By taking these steps, you can make the most of your LinkedIn profile and leverage the power of professional networking to advance your career and achieve your professional goals.