The dos and don’ts of including a LinkedIn URL on your resume
The Dos and Don’ts of Including a LinkedIn URL on Your Resume
When it comes to job hunting, having a strong online presence is essential. And one of the most important platforms for professionals is LinkedIn. With over 740 million members worldwide, LinkedIn has become the go-to platform for networking, job searching, and personal branding. It’s no wonder that many job seekers include their LinkedIn URL on their resume.
But including a LinkedIn URL on your resume is not as simple as copying and pasting the link. There are certain dos and don’ts that you need to keep in mind to ensure that your LinkedIn profile complements your resume and presents you in the best possible light.
Do: Customize Your LinkedIn URL
One of the first things you should do when setting up your LinkedIn profile is to customize your LinkedIn URL. By default, LinkedIn assigns you a URL that includes a combination of letters and numbers, which can be difficult to remember and share with others.
To customize your LinkedIn URL, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Me” icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Select “View profile” from the dropdown menu.
- On your profile page, look for the “Edit public profile & URL” section on the right-hand side.
- Click on the “Edit” button next to the URL.
- In the “Edit URL” window, enter your desired URL.
- Click “Save”.
When customizing your LinkedIn URL, it’s best to use your full name or a variation of it. Avoid using numbers, special characters, or unrelated words in your URL. A personalized LinkedIn URL not only looks more professional but also makes it easier for others to find and remember your profile.
Don’t: Use an Invalid LinkedIn URL
While customizing your LinkedIn URL, it’s important to ensure that the URL you choose is valid and doesn’t violate any LinkedIn policies. LinkedIn has certain guidelines that you need to follow when creating your URL:
- Use only alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers).
- Use lowercase letters.
- Avoid using spaces, symbols, or special characters.
- Keep it between 5-30 characters in length.
If you try to save an invalid URL, LinkedIn will display an error message and prompt you to choose a different URL. Make sure to double-check your URL before saving it to avoid any issues.
Do: Include Your LinkedIn URL on Your Resume
Now that you have customized your LinkedIn URL, it’s time to include it on your resume. Adding your LinkedIn URL to your resume allows potential employers to easily access your profile and learn more about your professional background and skills.
When adding your LinkedIn URL, follow these guidelines:
- Place your LinkedIn URL in the contact information section of your resume, along with your email address and phone number.
- Use the full URL, including the “https://” prefix.
- Hyperlink the URL so that it is clickable.
- Use a clear and legible font for the URL.
By including your LinkedIn URL on your resume, you are providing employers with an additional avenue to learn more about you and your qualifications. It shows that you are proactive and tech-savvy, which are desirable qualities in today’s job market.
Don’t: Forget to Optimize Your LinkedIn URL
While including your LinkedIn URL on your resume is important, it’s equally important to optimize your LinkedIn URL for maximum impact. Optimizing your LinkedIn URL involves making it more search-friendly and memorable.
Here are some tips to optimize your LinkedIn URL:
- Use your full name or a variation of it in your URL.
- Include relevant keywords in your URL that are related to your industry or profession.
- Avoid using numbers or random characters in your URL.
- Keep your URL concise and easy to remember.
By optimizing your LinkedIn URL, you increase the chances of your profile appearing in search results when someone searches for your name or keywords related to your industry. It also makes it easier for others to remember and share your LinkedIn profile.
Do: Share Your LinkedIn URL Strategically
While it’s important to include your LinkedIn URL on your resume, you also need to be strategic about sharing it. Don’t just include your LinkedIn URL on every job application without considering the relevance and context.
Here are some guidelines for sharing your LinkedIn URL strategically:
- Include your LinkedIn URL on your resume when applying for jobs that require a strong online presence, such as marketing, social media, or digital roles.
- Consider including your LinkedIn URL on your resume when applying for jobs in industries where networking and professional connections are highly valued.
- Share your LinkedIn URL with recruiters or hiring managers during networking events or interviews to supplement your resume and provide additional information about your skills and experience.
By sharing your LinkedIn URL strategically, you can leverage the power of your LinkedIn profile to enhance your job search and make a strong impression on potential employers.
Don’t: Neglect Your LinkedIn Profile
Including your LinkedIn URL on your resume is only effective if your LinkedIn profile is up to date and well-optimized. Your LinkedIn profile is an extension of your resume and provides an opportunity to showcase your skills, experience, and professional accomplishments in more detail.
Here are some tips to ensure that your LinkedIn profile complements your resume:
- Regularly update your LinkedIn profile with your latest work experience, education, and skills.
- Include a professional profile photo that represents you in a positive and professional manner.
- Write a compelling summary that highlights your unique selling points and career objectives.
- Add relevant keywords throughout your profile to improve your visibility in search results.
By keeping your LinkedIn profile up to date and well-optimized, you can maximize the impact of including your LinkedIn URL on your resume. It shows that you are proactive, detail-oriented, and committed to showcasing your professional brand.
Including a LinkedIn URL on your resume can be a powerful tool in your job search. It allows potential employers to learn more about you, your skills, and your professional background. By customizing, optimizing, and strategically sharing your LinkedIn URL, you can enhance your online presence and make a strong impression on recruiters and hiring managers.
Remember to customize your LinkedIn URL, ensure its validity, and optimize it with relevant keywords. Include your LinkedIn URL strategically on your resume and keep your LinkedIn profile up to date and well-optimized. By following these dos and don’ts, you can leverage the power of LinkedIn to boost your job search and increase your chances of landing your dream job.